We live in a time where healthy choices equate to being smart and sexy. Many companies take pride in encouraging employees to maintain healthy lifestyles and support them while they do so. The thought process from leaders in corporations is that the better you feel, the better your work ethic, and thus, more successful you will be.
One way for us to ease our mind and body is by consistent movement by stretching or exercise during our work day and, of course, relaxation when needed.
Yoga is a method of stretching, exercise, and relaxation that has been used for many years. Not only does yoga tone the body and refresh the mind, but it also assists with reduction in stress, improving immune system, and assists with the flow of blood which thus increases energy throughout the day.
There are five general types of yoga (Hatha, Vinyasa, Ashtanga, Iyengar, and Bikram) for an aspiring yogi to choose from. Each has a different purpose and benefit to the mind and body. Even though each type of yoga is based on similar poses, the styles are much different. For example, the focus of Hatha Yoga is to relieve stress, improve breathing, and provide exercise for the body. The purpose of Bikram Yoga is to speed up recovery from an injury, enhance flexibility, and cleanse the body of toxins.
Still not convinced that yoga is right for you? Here are 5 reasons that yoga is beneficial for everyone (reasons from Team Beach Body):
- Lower blood pressure – yoga is a marriage of movement and breath. It has been proven that exercise, meditation, and breath exercises can all help lower blood pressure without medication.
- Get taller – yoga improves your posture, so you gain back those extra inches that are typically swallowed up by slouching.
- Increase happiness – yoga increases the production of serotonin and decreases cortisol (a hormone released in response to stress). So you get the extra boost of happy chemicals and block the secretion of stressful chemicals the body creates.
- Decrease anxiety – during yoga it is encouraged for participants to relax, have slow breathing, and focus on the present moment. This assists with slowing your heart rate, decreasing blood pressure, and lower cortisol.
- Get a better night’s sleep – Certain types of yoga increases the production of melanin in the body which helps give you a sense of calm and well-being.
Work life balance can be greater when your life is stress and worry free. Yoga can definitely help! Your body and mind would greatly appreciate it!
For more fun blogs and random thoughts about lifestyle, fashion, and entertainment, follow me on all social media sites @LeanaShenise.
Don’t forget to visit and share www.LeanaSheniseBlog.wordpress.com!